Saturday, May 1, 2010

Number 3

I got one of those feelings again...

The first was when I felt like the Lord was calling me into worship leading, and I could no longer bear the weight of it and I gave into that calling. The second was when I felt like the Lord was calling me to go to Mexico, by myself, for a month to spend some time on the mission field.

The third happened this past week. A few weeks ago I heard about a job opportunity at Asbury that was 20hrs/week doing admin work. It was perfect! Prorated benefits, ministries & mission opportunities whenever I want...I was going for it. Then, out of nowhere, I got an email from a guy at my church asking me if I wanted some part-time work at his company. I told him to wait in case the Asbury thing didn't work out. He came by my office a few days later trying to convince me, but it wasn't until he told me about the people I would be working with that a spark ignited in me.

I started thinking...if I got the job at Asbury (and there were so many people talking me up for that job), then my main job would be in Christian ministry, my part-time job would be in Christian ministry, my extracurriculars like the Storehouse would be in Christian ministry, and all my friends would be leaders in Christian ministry. Completely surrounded. In a bubble. Unbalanced. If I'm supposed to be living for the Kingdom of God, how could I justify this? I have absolutely no access to the outside world; the people who don't know Jesus. I don't even know what that world is like. I've never been there except for that brief week at a secular camp one summer my Sr. year of high school. And not only that, in order to minister to the congregation at Master's Way, I have to know what kind of world they live in every single day.

So, after much prayer and seeking guidance, I just had 'that feeling' where I needed to tell Asbury that I couldn't work for them. Even if the Arsenal job doesn't work out. I just had to do it.

Yesterday I had my "interview" with Scott, where we just rode over the arsenal to see where I would be working and then we went out to lunch. He told me all of the stuff I would be doing, asked me what kind of hours I would like to work. I'm pretty sure I have this. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment