Monday, May 10, 2010

Friendship Magnet

I hope you (whoever you are) don't find me vain, conceited, or prideful when I say this (even though I totally am all of those things). But here goes:

Why am I such a magnet for boys?

Now, don't get me wrong. This is not in the romantic sense, AT ALL. If that were the case there would be no complaints here! But for the past 5 years or so I've noticed that guys are just drawn to me. They want to sit next to me. They want to talk to me everyday on Facebook chat. They seek me out from across a room to talk to me. They confide all their thoughts/secrets/hopes/struggles/etc. in me. They want to be my friend. A close friend. A dear friend. And that's it. Nothing more. Why is this?

Now I understand why it never goes any further than that, why they wouldn't want to date me, but I just don't get why it gets that far either. I'm not that great of a conversationalist (I kinda suck at it, actually). I'm not the most spiritual person I know. I'm not full of sagely advice. So why do I pose this question....or....why does it bother me so much??

Here's why. It starts when I meet some guy. We talk a little in person, then he starts talking to me everyday on chat, seeking me out to talk to, maybe even going out to eat or just hanging out one-on-one. These things start to happen more and more frequently. We might even go on what looks like a date to the rest of the world. So, naturally, I assume it's going somewhere. And...it never does. However, by this point, it's possible that I'm attached (though I haven't been attached to every guy this has happened with, just a few). But, it's not over. If it were, I'd be ok with that. That person still wants to talk all the time, hang out all the time. And it's not like I can say no! I end up hurt, with the end result being me looking at their engagement/wedding photos on the internet (that case was really painful).

You may be thinking that this is just bitterness from one isolated incident that I'm not over. But, rest assured, it's not. This has happened with 4, maybe 5, different people. All in the last 5 years, with the most recent being right now (though I'm keeping my guard up now that I recognize what's going on).

Some girls enjoy having a feminine (or gay) guy to hang out with, to go shopping with and seek advice from. Am I just the female version of this (apart from the whole gay thing)??

I'm a little frustrated if you can't tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment